Library Card Application
Requirements for obtaining a Provo City Library Card
- Photo Identification – Picture ID issued by a government, school, or employer.
Proof of Permanent Address – A document bearing the applicant’s name and current address. Examples: Rent receipt, mail postmarked within the last 3 months, utility bill, etc.
Types of cards issued by the Provo City Library
Library cards are issued only to individuals. Organizations, businesses, and other entities are not eligible for a library card.
Resident cards may be issued free of charge to the following individuals:
- Residents of Provo City
- Provo City Employees
- Residents of Orem City. Provo City Library and Orem Public Library have a cooperative agreement that allows the citizens of Provo and Orem to use both libraries.
- Provo City Property Owners. Individuals paying ad valorem taxes on real and/or personal property situated within Provo shall be deemed a resident library borrower as well as their spouse, child, or parent living in the same household. Verification of tax status is required.
- Temporary resident cards may be issued to individuals staying in Provo at a motel, hotel, etc., or who will be here for short time periods (6 months or less). Temporary resident cards cost $15 (nonrefundable) and are good for 3 months. Patrons must furnish proof of their temporary address. Borrowing privileges will be limited to three items at a time.
- Non-resident cards may be issued to individuals not qualifying for a resident card. Non-resident cards require the payment of a non-refundable fee as established in the Loan Periods, Fines, and Charges
Educators employed at a Provo School, but living outside of Provo City limits, may obtain a Library card to check out materials to supplement their teaching. Proof of employment is required. The non-resident fee will be waived.
The borrower is responsible for all materials, fines and fees charged to their library card. Lost or stolen library cards are to be reported immediately to appropriate library staff. A minor’s parent or legal guardian is responsible for all materials, fines and fees charged to the minor’s library card. A fee, as established in the Loan Periods, Fines, and Charges will be charged whenever a replacement card is requested.
In accordance with Utah State Code 63.2.302, any Provo City Library records that identify a patron are private. Pursuant to this law, requests for disclosure of private library records can be made by a parent or legal guardian, the holder of a power of attorney or a notarized release, or pursuant to a court order or legislative subpoena. Requests for information by other than the subject of the record or the parent or legal guardian, as previously established by the library, will be forwarded to the Library Director or designated representative.
When the library is notified that a bankruptcy has been filed, collection and billing activity is suspended on that patron's account and on the accounts of any minor children until the library is notified of the outcome.
If a bankruptcy results in a court ordered discharge of debts, all fines, fees, and collection agency charges accrued prior to the date of the discharge are waived in full. Fines and fees accrued after the date of the decree will not be cleared. The library encourages the return of any overdue library materials.
If the amount discharged is greater than $25.00, the patron’s borrowing privileges will be suspended for one year. If the debt discharged is less than $25.00, no limitation is placed on the account.
Board of Directors
Provo City Library
Approved November 12, 2014
Revised & Approved March 9, 2016
Revised & Approved May 8, 2019
Revised & Approved March 11, 2020
Revised & Approved May 13, 2020