The Provo Woolen Mills was a major Provo business enterprise in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The construction was financed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Construction took place 1870-1872 at a cost of $155,000. The mill began operating in 1872 and produced its first cloth in 1873.
Jesse Knight bought the mill in 1910. In 1918 the mill was devastated by fire. It was subsequently partially rebuilt and continued its operation until 1932.